Tampa Florida Adult care Homes: How to pay for, Licensing and Questions to ask…
Tampa is a city on Tampa Bay, along Florida’s Gulf Coast. A major business center, it’s also known for its museums and other cultural offerings. Busch Gardens is an African-themed amusement park with thrill rides and animal-viewing areas. The historic Ybor City neighborhood, developed by Cuban and Spanish cigar-factory workers at the turn of the 20th century, is a dining and nightlife destination.
Adult Care Home Communities near Tampa, Florida
Adult Care Home and other terms
It is good to know the other terms/names you may hear:
Nursing Home (although this is an outdated and not accurate term for this level of care)
- Board and care home
- Care home
- Adult family home
- Residential care home
- Adult foster home
- Personal care Home
- Community Residential Care Facilities
- Rest Homes
About Adult Care Homes in Tampa
In Florida they are called Adult Family Care Homes. Residents may receive 24-hour care in a single-family environment. These adult care homes look like single family homes in residential neighborhoods, and the residences are licensed to house a smaller number of adults as opposed to larger assisted living communities. The provider must own and live in the home where they are licensed to provide care and housing. The licensing of adult family care homes in the state of Florida is overseen by The Agency for HealthCare Administration. There are specific courses required to be eligible for a license and opening of a care facility. Each adult care home operator may employ additional caregivers to support the care of residents. And for safety, operators and staff must participate in on-going training. Staff must have hands-on experience providing care for the population they intend to serve, as well as on-going training. All the staff training must be documented and accounted for. They make ideal homes for loved ones who require individualized care while allowing residents the preferences and choices to honor their independence.
Considerations When Looking for Care in Tampa
Tampa is the largest city in the Tampa Bay Area with a population of 384, 959 according to the 2020 census. As the seat of Hillsborough County, Tampa is the third most populous city in Florida after Jacksonville and Miami.
The warm climate and natural beauty attract year-round visitors and residents from a variety of cultures. These features and more have led to Tampa becoming a preferred location for senior citizens to retire, so the need for senior care in Tampa is significant.
Cities Near Tampa
- Oldsmar – 16 miles west
- Lutz – 14 miles north
- Seffner – 14 miles east
- Thonotosassa – 15 miles north
Pricing and How to Pay for Adult Care Homes
Across the state of Florida you will find an average cost of $4,000 per month for an adult family care home. This is much less expensive than nursing home care ($8,000-$10,000 per month). Levels of care and offered services will impact costs.
It is important to take your time when exploring payment and coverage options.
Medicare – NO:
- Medicare does NOT pay for Assisted Living.
- People 65 years and older and individuals with end stage renal disease are eligible for Medicare benefits, no matter their income.
- Coverage is meant for people in need of short-term care.
Private pay – YES:
- Many families pay for assisted living with private funds.
- Private pay can be a combination of retirement funds, personal savings, and pension payments.
- Family members may contribute funds to pay for assisted living or other senior housing and care.
Medicaid – MAYBE:
- Medicaid provides health coverage to millions of Americans. Eligible participants include: low-income adults, elderly adults and people with disabilities.
- Medicaid is administered by state, according to federal requirements. The program is funded jointly by each state and the federal government.
- Every state has their own individual Medicaid assistance program.
- National guidelines are in place do decipher how states must spend Medicaid money, but with allowances toward the guidelines.
- The state determines what levels of care will be covered by Medicaid, who is eligible, and how much the state will reimburse the care community.
- If you are unsure whether you qualify for Medicaid, you should apply. You may be eligible depending on your household income, family size, age, disability and other factors.
Long-term Care Insurance – MAYBE:
Long term care insurance is a great way to pay for assisted living, and planning ahead is important when considering how to pay for senior housing and care. Nearly 75% of people over the age of 65 will require long-term care and services at some point. Buying into long-term care insurance when a person is in their 50s and 60s is the most common time to do so.
- Long-term care insurance helps cover the costs of chronic medical conditions.
- Individuals and couples with the ability to pay into long-term care insurance have the advantage of a head start in allocating funds for senior care.
Veteran Aid and Assistance – MAYBE:
This benefit is available to some military veterans and surviving spouses who live in an assisted living community and those who have in-home care.
- There are specific guidelines, but a veteran may qualify for as much as $2,050 each month.
- A veteran with a sick spouse may be eligible for $1,600 per month.
- If a veteran has passed, their surviving spouse can qualify for $1,300 per month.
Questions to Ask
Finding an assisted living community, can be overwhelming. Here are some tips on things to be observant of:
Local Hospital and Healthcare Providers
Tampa General Hospital
1 Tampa General Cir, Tampa, FL 33606
St. Joseph’s Hospital
3001 W Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Tampa, FL 33607
Advent Health Tampa
3100 E Fletcher Ave, Tampa, FL 33613
HCA Florida South Tampa Hospital
2901 W Swann Ave, Tampa, FL 33609
Resources and Links – Florida
Florida Department of Elder Affairs Administers human service and long term care programs for Florida’s elders age 60 and older and their caregivers. Services include Home Care Program, Nutrition Programs, Home Delivered Meals, Congregate Meals, Nutritional Counseling, Family Caregiver Support Program, Adult Family Care, Personal Care Management Program, Money Management Program Financial Assistance, Congregate and Supportive Housing, Nursing Home Ombudsman Program, transportation, home repairs and employment.
Department of Children and Families Florida Abuse Hotline The Florida Abuse Hotline serves as the central reporting center for allegations of abuse, neglect, and or exploitation for all children and vulnerable adults in Florida. Confidential reports.
American Indian Tribes and Tribal Organizations is a Care Giver Program, Case Management, Home Health Services, Adult Protective Services, Emergency Response Systems, Employment Services, Financial Services, Legal Assistance, Home Repair, Home Modification, Information and Referral/Assistance, Home Delivered Meals, Congregate Meals, Personal Care, Sr. Center Programs
Eldercare Locator This is a great resource to search for specific care in specific counties and cities. This database is a nationwide resource that connects older Americans and their caregivers with trustworthy local support resources. Connect with services such as meals, home care or transportation, or a caregiver education or respite from caregiving responsibilities. The Eldercare Locator is a public service of the Administration on Aging (AoA), an agency of the U.S. Administration for Community Living.
Medicare provides a search feature to find & compare providers near you, most senior housing and care providers are included on CareAvailability.com. Find & compare plans in your area. Determine if you qualify for premium savings
Medicaid offers information on how to apply for Medicaid, eligibility criteria, links to local state offices, and additional resources.
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Whether you are living with Alzheimer’s or caring for someone with the disease, information and resources are available.
Search other areas Adult Care Homes
Not finding what you’re looking for? Take a look below.