Fort Collins Colorado: Search Near You, How to Pay, Licensing, Local Resources, and Questions to Ask
Fort Collins is the perfect retirement place for those who want a thriving downtown area, notable amenities for retirees, and picturesque mountain views. Its Old Town historic district has 1800s houses, a vintage trolley, specialty shops and restaurants. The Fort Collins Museum of Discovery features interactive science, history and nature exhibits, plus a digital dome theater. West of the city, trails criss-cross Horsetooth Mountain Open Space, known for the peak’s distinctive Horsetooth Rock formation and Horsetooth Falls. Fort Collins is 1 of only 5 towns in the nation designated a Platinum Level Bike-Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists.
Similar to a nursing home, residents receive 24-hour care all in a single-family environment. Residential care homes appear very similar to a single family home. So they make ideal homes for seniors who require individualized care while allowing residents the preferences and choices to honor their independence.
- Fort Collins Colorado: Search Near You, How to Pay, Licensing, Local Resources, and Questions to Ask
- About Adult Care Homes in Fort Collins
- Considerations when looking for care in Fort Collins
- Cities near Fort Collins
- Pricing and How to Pay for Adult Care Homes
- Local Hospitals and Healthcare Providers in Fort Collins
Adult Care Home Communities near Fort Collins, Colorado
About Adult Care Homes in Fort Collins
Colorado titles adult care homes as residential care homes. These are private residences that provide a home-like setting, and typically care for less than 10 senior residents. The Care home provider will typically provide meals, housekeeping, and limited activities. Caregivers may perform several functions: personal hygiene and mobility and eating and dressing and toileting and behavior management.
Colorado is home to a good sized senior citizen population with about 885,000 residents. For seniors living in Colorado, life can be very relaxing. But as seniors get older, they may need more care at some point. They may require assistance with day to day activities. A nursing home is not the only senior care and housing option. An adult care home may be a great fit for your loved one. Adult care homes provide an ideal living situation for a senior who can no longer manage their health and safety at home, and may need care.
Residential care homes are licensed to provide 24/7 living arrangements with additional care. Operators must be licensed in their state and participate in on-going training. Staff must have hands-on experience providing care for the population they intend to serve, as well as on-going training. Each operator may employ additional caregivers to support the care of residents.
Considerations when looking for care in Fort Collins
In Fort Collins the warmest time of year is generally mid July where highs are regularly around 92.1°F, with temperatures rarely dropping below 60°F at night. The coldest month of the year in Fort Collins is December, with an average low of 20°F and high of 41°F. Fort Collins Population is 168,538 with nearly 20 assisted living residences, some of which are residential care homes due to size.
Cities near Fort Collins
- Masonville – 15 miles south of Fort Collins
- Laporte – 5 miles north of Fort Collins
- Loveland – 13 miles south of Fort Collins
- Arrowhead – 3 miles east of Fort Collins
Pricing and How to Pay for Adult Care Homes
The cost of adult care homes depends on where you live. Some cities are much more costly than others. These homes fall under the umbrella of assisted living, so as you research, you’ll find costs are generally similar, but not always. The average cost of a residential care home in Colorado is $3,800 / month. In Colorado, assisted living costs $4,500 per month on average. On the bright side, this is much less expensive than nursing homes, which range around $9,000 per month.
- Costs fluctuate depending on your geographical location within the state.
- Expect to pay between $1,700 per month to $4,000 per month, on average.
- Costs are affected by the care requirements of your loved one.
It is important to take your time when exploring payment and coverage options.
Medicare – NO:
- Medicare does NOT pay for Assisted Living.
- People 65 years and older and individuals with end stage renal disease are eligible for Medicare benefits, no matter their income.
- Coverage is meant for people in need of short-term care.
Private pay – YES:
- Many families pay for assisted living with private funds.
- Private pay can be a combination of retirement funds, personal savings, and pension payments.
- Family members may contribute funds to pay for assisted living or other senior housing and care.
Medicaid – MAYBE:
- Medicaid provides health coverage to millions of Americans. Eligible participants include: low-income adults, elderly adults and people with disabilities.
- Medicaid is administered by state, according to federal requirements. The program is funded jointly by each state and the federal government.
- Every state has their own individual Medicaid assistance program.
- National guidelines are in place do decipher how states must spend Medicaid money, but with allowances toward the guidelines.
- The state determines what levels of care will be covered by Medicaid, who is eligible, and how much the state will reimburse the care community.
- If you are unsure whether you qualify for Medicaid, you should apply. You may be eligible depending on your household income, family size, age, disability and other factors.
Long-term Care Insurance – MAYBE:
Long term care insurance is a great way to pay for assisted living, and planning ahead is important when considering how to pay for senior housing and care. Nearly 75% of people over the age of 65 will require long-term care and services at some point. Buying into long-term care insurance when a person is in their 50s and 60s is the most common time to do so.
- Long-term care insurance helps cover the costs of chronic medical conditions.
- Individuals and couples with the ability to pay into long-term care insurance have the advantage of a head start in allocating funds for senior care.
Veteran Aid and Assistance – MAYBE:
This benefit is available to some military veterans and surviving spouses who live in an assisted living community and those who have in-home care.
- There are specific guidelines, but a veteran may qualify for as much as $2,050 each month.
- A veteran with a sick spouse may be eligible for $1,600 per month.
- If a veteran has passed, their surviving spouse can qualify for $1,300 per month.
Questions to Ask
Finding an assisted living community, can be overwhelming. Here are some tips on things to be observant of:
Local Hospitals and Healthcare Providers in Fort Collins
Banner Health Center
4700 Lady Moon Dr, Fort Collins, CO 80528
Kaiser Permanente Spring Creek Medical Offices
1136 E Stuart St, Fort Collins, CO 80525
UCHealth Harmony Campus
2121 E Harmony Rd, Fort Collins, CO 80528
Local Resources and Links – Colorado
Area Agency on Aging Boulder County offers services to adults 60 and over and their adult caregivers. They also provide assistance to Medicare beneficiaries and residents of any age who live in a long-term care facility. Provides information, referral, and options counseling to anyone 18 or older with a disability as well as to older adults through the Aging and Disability Resource for Colorado program. Legal assistance is offered via one of our contractors, not directly.
Denver Regional Council of Governments Provides information and assistance for people 60 and older or 18-plus with a disability, their families, and service providers. Referrals to local resources and services.
Larimer County Office on Aging The Larimer County Office on Aging LCOA provides Information and Referral through the ADRC, Title III services including In Home Services Voucher, Chore Voucher, Respite Voucher, application assistance and options counseling. Additional services include grant management and long term care ombudsman program community education and key member of the Partnership for Age Friendly Communities in Larimer County.
Park County Department of Human Services Adult Protection Services (APS) are provided to at-risk adults age 18 and older who, due to age or disability, are unable to protect themselves and have no one to advocate on their behalf. The Adult Protection program responds to reports of Abuse (physical or sexual), Neglect (caregiver or self), and Financial Exploitation.
Pikes Peak Area Council of Governments PPACG serves as the Area Agency on Aging for Colorado Springs and provides programs and services for older adults and their caregivers. A person must be 60 years of age or older to be eligible for a service provided by the Older Americans Act (OAA).
Disability Law Colorado offers legal representation, information and referrals to people with disabilities, older people, and their families.
Eldercare Locator This is a great resource to search for specific care in specific counties and cities. This database is a nationwide resource that connects older Americans and their caregivers with trustworthy local support resources. Connect with services such as meals, home care or transportation, or a caregiver education or respite from caregiving responsibilities. The Eldercare Locator is a public service of the Administration on Aging (AoA), an agency of the U.S. Administration for Community Living.
Medicare provides a search feature to find & compare providers near you, most senior housing and care providers are included on CareAvailability.com. Find & compare plans in your area. Determine if you qualify for premium savings
Medicaid offers information on how to apply for Medicaid, eligibility criteria, links to local state offices, and additional resources
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support, and research. Whether you are living with Alzheimer’s or caring for someone with the disease, information and resources are available.
Search Other Areas Assisted Living
Not finding what you’re looking for? Take a look below.